Sunday, April 20, 2014

OH BLESSED RESURRECTION SUNDAY!

                                                               He is risen indeed!

What a blessedness it is that we celebrate the most significant event in all of history, the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!  This one event sets Yeshuah Ha Messiach apart from all other so called religious figures, our Savior conquered death and the grave in order to give us life eternal.  This week, as our family observed Passover, we looked to the death of our Lord and today, we join all of our brothers and sisters around the world in celebrating His walking out of the grave on the third day.

The significance of this single event is the hinge that all of history turns.  This event changed how we recon the calendar, this event proves, once and for all that Jesus is the Word made flesh, this event gives us hope of a future resurrection and eternity with God.  As I have been studying the Psalms the last couple of weeks, I have seen specific Psalms that pertain to specific events in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.

Firs, in Psalm 69, we see what may very well could be the attitude and heart of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane:

Psa 69:1  To the choirmaster: according to Lilies. Of David. Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. 
Psa 69:2  I sink in deep mire, where there is no foothold; I have come into deep waters, and the flood sweeps over me. 
Psa 69:3  I am weary with my crying out; my throat is parched. My eyes grow dim with waiting for my God. 
Psa 69:4  More in number than the hairs of my head are those who hate me without cause; mighty are those who would destroy me, those who attack me with lies. What I did not steal must I now restore? 

As I read this passage, I am reminded of the anguish with which Christ prayed, in the Garden, prior to His arrest, as He shed "sweat like drops of blood" and asked the Father to "let this cup pass from me.." but in obedience relented and prayed "Not my will, but yours be done."  Jesus, as a man, feared the cross, as we saw in His words, "the flesh is weak," but Jesus in His deity proclaimed, "the Spirit is willing."

Then we come to Psalm 22, a graphic foretelling of the crucifixion of our mighty Emmanuel:

Psa 22:1  To the choirmaster: according to The Doe of the Dawn. A Psalm of David. My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning? 
Psa 22:2  O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest. 
Psa 22:3  Yet you are holy, enthroned on the praises of Israel. 
Psa 22:4  In you our fathers trusted; they trusted, and you delivered them. 
Psa 22:5  To you they cried and were rescued; in you they trusted and were not put to shame. 
Psa 22:6  But I am a worm and not a man, scorned by mankind and despised by the people. 
Psa 22:7  All who see me mock me; they make mouths at me; they wag their heads; 
Psa 22:8  "He trusts in the LORD; let him deliver him; let him rescue him, for he delights in him!" 
Psa 22:9  Yet you are he who took me from the womb; you made me trust you at my mother's breasts. 
Psa 22:10  On you was I cast from my birth, and from my mother's womb you have been my God. 
Psa 22:11  Be not far from me, for trouble is near, and there is none to help. 
Psa 22:12  Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me; 
Psa 22:13  they open wide their mouths at me, like a ravening and roaring lion. 
Psa 22:14  I am poured out like water, and all my bones are out of joint; my heart is like wax; it is melted within my breast; 
Psa 22:15  my strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to my jaws; you lay me in the dust of death. 
Psa 22:16  For dogs encompass me; a company of evildoers encircles me; they have pierced my hands and feet—
Psa 22:17  I can count all my bones— they stare and gloat over me; 
Psa 22:18  they divide my garments among them, and for my clothing they cast lots. 
Psa 22:19  But you, O LORD, do not be far off! O you my help, come quickly to my aid! 
Psa 22:20  Deliver my soul from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dog! 
Psa 22:21  Save me from the mouth of the lion! You have rescued me from the horns of the wild oxen! 

In this we see not only the physical pain of the cross but also the emotional and spiritual anguish our savior suffered on our behalf.  In the opening line we see the horror of the Beloved Son as he, for the first time is separated from the presence of His Father.  This all done to rescue us, who deserve no rescue, all this done to demonstrate the depth of His love for us, His rebellious creation.

Then, we come to Psalm 30, the foretelling of the proclamation of Christ at his resurrection:

Psa 30:1  A Psalm of David. A song at the dedication of the temple. I will extol you, O LORD, for you have drawn me up and have not let my foes rejoice over me. 
Psa 30:2  O LORD my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me. 
Psa 30:3  O LORD, you have brought up my soul from Sheol; you restored me to life from among those who go down to the pit. 
Psa 30:4  Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name. 
Psa 30:5  For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning. 
Psa 30:6  As for me, I said in my prosperity, "I shall never be moved." 
Psa 30:7  By your favor, O LORD, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed. 
Psa 30:8  To you, O LORD, I cry, and to the Lord I plead for mercy: 
Psa 30:9  "What profit is there in my death, if I go down to the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it tell of your faithfulness? 
Psa 30:10  Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me! O LORD, be my helper!" 
Psa 30:11  You have turned for me my mourning into dancing; you have loosed my sackcloth and clothed me with gladness, 
Psa 30:12  that my glory may sing your praise and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks to you forever! 

God has revealed His plan of redemption way before He brought it about.  Jesus, the Word made flesh, told us His plan thousands of years prior to His death, burial and resurrection.  Mankind anticipated redemption, we celebrate the work of Christ and now look forward to the final chapter - the return of Christ, also well documented throughout the Psalms!

HALLELUJAH  HALLELUJAH CHRIST IS RISEN!

One day we will follow Christ in resurrection and so be with the LORD forever.

What a blessed day to commemorate is our Blessed Resurrection Day!








No comments:

Post a Comment