Saturday, November 4, 2017

TRUTH AND CONSEQUENCES & FREEDOM FROM THE LAW

     I remember a few years ago watching the film, The Island of Dr. Moreau.  Not the original one from the 70's, but the crazy 1996 version with Marlon Brando.  One element of this film has always stuck with me: in order to control man/animal hybrids, Dr. Moreau implanted each creature with a device that would shock them if they gave in to animal impulses.  As the creatures gained in intelligence, one discovered he could remove the implant and be free from the law.  The creature's line, upon discovering this held great spiritual import to me and continues to do so to this day. "If there is no pain, is there no law?"  

     Does the average person live by this idea of freedom from consequences equal freedom from rules?  Do I choose to color outside the lines when I feel safe from the pain of discipline from God?  Am I no better than an unreasoning animal who will perform tricks for a treat (blessing) and avoid sin for fear of the pain of discipline?  


    As I was studying through Colossians this week, I came across this verse: Colossians 2:23  These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh. The preceding passages speak about creating a set of rules to live by that we may appear holy.  Rules come with consequences.  following rules in order to avoid negative consequences is of no value when it comes to our human nature.

    As I read that passage, I began to ponder my own obedience to God.  Do I obey because I fear God's discipline or do I obey because I truly love God and am grateful for His grace and mercy.  This is a very dangerous question to ask oneself.  The answer may be less than flattering. The real question is: do I take liberty when I have no sense of consequences?  If I am honest, I am sometimes no better than the animal/men of Dr. Moreau's island.  If I have no fear of pain, do I have no rules?  

     According to James, the half brother of Jesus, obedience is evidence of faith.  God does not want me to be obedient for the sake of obedience, nor does He want me obedient out of fear of consequences.  God wants me to be obedient because of my faith and because I love Him.  God wants me to be obedient because I understand His commands are for my good and the good of others.  

    Rather than teaching rules, we need to be teaching love and faith which will naturally produce obedience.  God is more interested in your heart than He is in your behavior because He knows your heart will drive your behavior.  Love God, love others, seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness. When we understand God's goodness and love we become obedient.  

     So to answer the question of the man-beast from Dr. Moreau, yes, even without pain, there is law and consequences for breaking the law.  Faith and love fulfill the law and Christ frees us from the consequences of breaking the law, at least in the eternal sense.  So the real question is not, am I free to sin if there is no consequences, the real question is, why should I want to sin when it displeases God, harms myself and others?  

Love God, love others - go live as Christ and give the devil hell!

No comments:

Post a Comment