Monday, February 19, 2018

PUBLISHING MY SHORT STORY ON KINDLE

 Today, I published my first short story and chose to use Kindle self publishing.  I weighed out my options and this seemed to be the best way to ease into the world of writing for profit. I am not expecting to get rich or sell a ton of copies, but I am expecting to learn from the experience.  I am now a published author! check out my first short story on Kindle and Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WR45BC


The whole project is over 3,000 words, about right for a short story, and took about two months from start to finish.  I do not have much spare time, so writing was done in 10-20 minute increments. This caused me to have to re-read my work constantly in order to keep continuity.  After several edits, I sat on the completed manuscript for a week or so, praying about a publishing platform. 

I spoke to a co-worker who published his first novel on Kindle, about a year ago. He earned enough to purchase a new car.  I will be happy to earn enough to motivate me to write another story!  

I looked at some of the big Christian publishers and was quickly discouraged with the process.  Unless you are writing a text book or commentary, you pretty much have to hire an agent to shop publishers for you.  Hiring an agent for a short story did not seem to be very wise, so I took my co-worker's advice and self published on Kindle.

The process was easy and relatively quick, from setting up a new account to submitting the manuscript, I spent maybe 3 hours.  In less than  24 hours, my story was up for sale.  

Whether you are a new writer, or have some completed manuscripts, I encourage you to try this platform.  As far as promotion goes, hit social media. I posted on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn.  This is all free publicity and if you can get a few people to like and share your link, all the better.

Well, if you get the chance, go check out my story on Kindle, it's only 99 cents!  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079WR45BC

If you are an aspiring writer, you have nothing to lose, head over to Kindle and get published!

No comments:

Post a Comment