Wednesday, April 21, 2021

WAS THE ANGRY BANKER WORTH AN HOUR PER WEEK?

  


  Every once in awhile, I hear a story which not only blesses my heart but inspires my soul. When my friend shared this story with me, I knew I had to share it with whomever happened to stumble upon this blog.

     Each week, I have the honor of teaching a team of evangelists in a predominantly Muslim country.  There is a pretty sizable time zone difference, so the class takes place via WhatsApp video, very early on Sunday morning and the teaching is done through an interpreter.  This is one of those outside of the box ministry opportunities I love being a part of.  

    For the safety of the team, I will omit the name of the country and the name of my friend as the main focus of their ministry is in the Muslim community. 

    A couple of years ago, my friend became aware of a man, a Muslim Banker, who was feared by everyone around him as he was a violent man with a mean temper.  God laid a burden, for the Banker, on my friend's heart so, under the guise of wanting to open a bank account, my friend visited the Banker and began to ask questions about banking.  

    After several visits, my friend and the banker became friendly and little by little a genuine friendship developed.  Notice, my friend did not go into the bank and begin proclaiming Jesus right away, first, he developed a relationship.  Through much prayer and patience, my friend was, eventually, able to share with the Banker a little about his faith, not in a proselytizing manner, but in conversation, as friends would normally discuss their personal lives.

    One day, undoubtedly by the prompting of the Holy Spirit, my friend asked the Banker if he would be willing to hold onto his Bible overnight, as my friend walked home through a heavily populated Muslim section of the city and feared harassment for carrying a Bible.  The Banker agreed to hold onto the Bible.

     My friend did not suggest the Banker read the Bible, he simply asked him to hold onto it. Night after night, my friend left his Bible with the Banker and eventually, curiosity got the better of the Banker and he began to read.  Each day my friend would retrieve his Bible and eventually conversations about the Banker's nightly readings took place. 

    Over a period of time, the Banker became a believer in Christ and is now involved with the evangelism team.  A soul was rescued from the clutches of hell because a brave man cared enough to invest time in making a disciple instead of trying to make a convert.

    Jesus commanded us to make disciples.  Making disciples requires an investment of time in the life of another.  This may be the single biggest problem with the modern church today:  we are not committed to spending time making disciples.  

    Jesus invested three years in the lives of His disciples, Paul invested time in Timothy, Priscilla and Aquilla invested in Apollos, the list goes on and on.  True legacy is investing in the the spiritual growth and maturity of others. 

    "I just don't have time," you may say.  When I consider the time I waste pursuing worthless things, it truly puts me to shame.  Who in your life is God prompting you to invest some time? Is this person's soul worth an hour or two per week?  

    My friend is a regular person, just like you, just like me, yet he knew God could do something amazing through him. 

Matthew 28:19-20 - Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

Jesus commanded us to make disciples, but, He also promised to be with us. What are you waiting for, my friend? Let's be disciple makers!

Now, go live as Christ... and give the devil hell!


No comments:

Post a Comment