Wednesday, July 18, 2018

WHAT'S HOLDING YOU BACK?

       
  The circumstances of our lives are seldom what we expect them to be.  Life throws curves, poor decisions made by ourselves, and others, situations beyond our control and of our own making, or things simply not working out as we planned.  Whatever the reason, many people find themselves in less than favorable positions in life.


     If you are unsatisfied with life, what needs to change?  If you know what you would rather be doing, I ask you: What's holding you back?  

     As many readers know, I am a pastor with a ministry called Metal Mission of Knoxville.  Our main focus is outreach ministry to the homeless of Knoxville.  Week after week, I have the opportunity to speak with people who are not where they would like to be in life.  Week after week, I have the opportunity to ask the same question: "What's the one thing that you know is holding you back from what you want?"  It is not a question people expect.  

      Amazingly, most people do have an answer, immediately. This question opens the door for a meaningful, Christ centered, conversation.   

       You can imagine the answers I get.  Many are quick to blame others and circumstances, however, many people also readily admit bad habits and attitudes are main contributing factors to holding them back from the life they desire.

  A STORY FROM THE STREETS

       One young man I had the opportunity to speak with this week expressed his desire to be a preacher.  To my shame, based on his appearance and persona,  I was totally surprised.  This young guy, only 28 years old, immediately shared with me the one thing holding him back is drug and alcohol abuse.  I asked him what he was willing to do differently to achieve his calling.  Sadly, he had no idea.  

     Are you, reader, where God wants you to be?  If not, what is one thing in your life you know is holding you back?  What are you willing to do differently to attain God's will for your life?

      One trap is to blame the past.  God's word tells us we are more than conquerors in Christ: Romans 8:37  Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 

      God is bigger than our past.

      Another trap we fall into is blaming others.  God takes what others meant for evil and will use it for good: Genesis 50:20  As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, 

  God is bigger than our circumstances and more powerful than anyone in our lives.  

   If you do not do something different, something different cannot happen

 "But that's how I've always done it" is a sure recipe for stagnation, status quo, and failure.

      Jesus warned those who desired to follow Him about hardships they would face. Jesus never said, "follow me and everything will go good for you!"  What Jesus did say was, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  What Jesus did say was, "come unto me all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest."  

    Jesus also told us: John 10:10  The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Don't be satisfied with medicrity

     What is keeping you from experiencing the abundant life Jesus desires for you?  What are you willing to give up, change or start doing in order to live according to God's will?  Are you satisfied with mediocrity?       

     Do not allow business as usual to hold you back from serving God according to your design.  Pray the prayer of the Psalmist: Psalms 139:23-24  Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts!  And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting! 

Now, go live as Christ... and give the devil hell!!
      

1 comment:

  1. What happened to the young man who wants to be a preacher? Is he making progress?

    ReplyDelete